I've been working on loose brush lettering styles in my sketchbooks lately. Here are a few highlights, mostly free associated from whatever I was listening to or watching on TV.
My website now uses my own damn name on the masthead. Big whoop! My poor wife, she had to listen to long arguments with myself about retiring the name Largemammal, debates over trying a new URL and blah blah blah about my identity and who the hell cares. So yeah. My name, up top.
I looked back on older incarnations of the Largemammal logo and thought it would be fun to see the evolution of the logo and logotype. You've come a long way, my friend.
OK, it’s done! I posted a sequence of images showing how the mark developed. As you can see below, in the first sketch it felt too thin and the L at the end was too tall. Kerning and readability issues abound.
In the second I added some weight, but the LA was too tight, there were too many elements below the baseline, and it still needed some heft.
When I added some bulk in the third sketch, it revealed a problem where the cap A’s were too heavy because the counters were too small. I also had to address the overall pointy-ness on top.
Creating two different cap A’s in the fourth and final sketch resolved a lot of issues for me. It broke up the pointy tops, nicely locked up the LA with the R, and created a nice rhythm throughout. It’s got a strong baseline and I’m happy with how well it reads. I feel like I could fuss with this even more (the waist and leg on the R need some massaging and the crossbars on the A's are optically heavy), but it will work fine for the time being.
UPDATE: Last but not least, here is how it looks on my biz cards, printed by the fine folks at Moo.